Air traffic flow and capacity management is a vital part of air traffic management in exploiting the full capacity of the air transport system without running the risk of infringing upon safety caused by overload situations. In future the management of ATC capacity will become equally Important as managing the traffic flows.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE ENHANCED ATFM SERVICES ARE TO:
- Reduce ground and en-route delays;
- Maximise capacity and optimise the flow of air traffic;
- Provide an informed choice between departure delay, re-routing and/or flight level selection;
- Alleviate unplanned in-flight rerouting;
- Assist ATS Units in planning for and managing future workload in the light of forecast increased traffic flows within South Africa;
- Assessing the impact of FUAs and TSAs on the air traffic control system;
- Provide improved solutions around predicted severe weather;
- Balance the demand against capacity of ATC sectors, air routes and aerodromes;
- Determine the necessity for an airspace/ground delay program and other traffic management initiatives (TMIs) and to enact them, and;
- Enabling aircraft operators to operate as close to their preferred trajectories.
Please note that all content on this website including downloadable documents is copyrighted to ATNS and requires permission to be used.